The Leadership and Operations Center (LOC) is responsible for facilitating and managing the scientific agenda and research operations of the MTN, from the design and development of protocols to their review and approval, to their implementation at research sites and results dissemination and publication. The LOC has primary responsibility for the administration of funds to clinical research sites (CRSs) as well as providing logistical and administrative support to the MTN Steering Committee (SC), and other MTN committees and working groups. In addition, the LOC works closely with the Laboratory Center (LC) and the Statistical and Data Safety Management Center (SDMC) to ensure that all three organizational units operate as a collective in serving the mission and scientific agenda of the MTN.
Staff members from the LOC also work closely with Protocol Teams, Clinical Trial Units (CTUs) and CTU-affiliated CRSs, as well as with the Division of AIDS (DAIDS) at the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) on all aspects of the MTN research program.
LOC functions are carried out across three institutions: the University of Pittsburgh, FHI 360 and the University of Washington. General operational responsibilities of the LOC include:
- MTN Steering Committee support
- Financial operations and management
- Network Evaluation Committee support
- Support to MTN Working Groups – Biomedical Science Working Group and the Community Working Group
- Development and/or management of new initiatives
- Protocol development
- Study implementation and site training
- Pharmacy affairs and study product management
- Regulatory affairs
- Medical oversight and participant safety (MTN Safety Physicians and Protocol/Regional Physicians)
- Community Program
- Communications and external relations
- Information technology and website support
- Network meetings and management
- Manuscript Review Committee support
- Manual of Operational Procedures development and maintenance
More information about the structure, functions and responsibilities of the LOC are described in the MTN Manual of Operational Procedures, Section 3, The Microbicide Network’s Operational Components.
View LOC organizational charts for the LOC- Pittsburgh and the LOC-FHI 360 listed below.
|LOC - FHI 360 (Download)
|LOC - Pittsburgh (Download)